Plastic Surgery Cost & Questions to Ask
Nip here, tuck there; inject this, implant that. Plastic Surgery cost continues to rise the U.S., with over 15 million procedures performed in 2015, according to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS).
2015 Top Five Surgical procedures & average cost in Chicago:
- Breast augmentation – $3,200 to $11,200
- Liposuction – $1600 to $13,000
- Nose reshaping/Rhinoplasty – $3,500 to $14,000
- Eyelid surgery- $2,000 to $5,900
- Tummy tuck – $4,900 to $18,000
Payment is usually required in advance and cosmetic surgery is rarely covered by insurance. Plastic surgery comes with risk and benefits. As with any medical procedure, research the quality of service providers & the actual procedure it self to determine if it is a wise investments. Below are a few question to start with.
Questions to Ask Your Doctor:
- What experience do you have in performing this procedure? Ask what training he or she has completed and request to see certificates of training.
- Are you certified by the American Board of Medical Specialties? You can check if your doctor is board certified at www.abms.org. An American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) certification ensures that your doctor has received in-depth plastic surgical training.
- Do you have hospital privileges to perform cosmetic surgery? Make sure your surgeon has operating privileges in an accredited hospital for your procedure. Hospitals evaluate the training and competency of surgeons before granting operating privileges. Even if your specific procedure will be performed in the doctor?s office and not in a hospital, your doctor should still have hospital privileges.
- Where and how will my procedure be performed?
- What are the risks involved? Every surgery involves a risk ? make sure your doctor is upfront with the possible risks, how often they occur and how complications are handled.
- How much recovery time should I expect?
- Will my procedure need to be repeated? Some procedures require follow up visits and/or surgical revisions. Find out if there are additional costs related to follow-up activities.