The Causegear and Made Free brands, founded by Brad & Dr. Katherine Jeffrey, provide quality, handcrafted apparel and accessories, designed in Chicago and made “free”… that is, FREE from human trafficking, slavery and poverty.
Make a difference in the life of another when you shop with Causegear / Made By Free Women at the Chicago Artisan Market at Morgan MFG (401 N. Morgan St., Chicago) on Sunday, March 8, 2020 (10am-4pm). Discover 100+ top Chicago & Midwest artisans in food, fashion, home goods + art.
Handcrafted for freedom. The CAUSEGEAR® MADE FREE® model was designed to provide sustainable social reform – addressing the root cause of slavery (including human trafficking), poverty and the need for sustainable ethical jobs. Handouts of food, clothing, and water may help today, but don’t necessarily change the circumstances for tomorrow. To win the war on poverty, we need to address the core issues. For poverty to end, those who make our fashion need to make a livable wage.
Do you know the facts?
• Today there are 40 million people in slavery, an all-time high. (including human trafficking) (source: Global Slavery Index)
• 40% of slavery is in India, more than any other country. (source: Global Slavery Index)
• Over 70% of slaves are female. (source: Global Slavery Index)
• Human trafficking is the third-biggest criminal enterprise in the world, after drug trafficking and counterfeiting. (Source: Thomson Reuters Foundation)
• Human trafficking accounts for more than 32 billion dollars in illegal profits every year, more than Nike, Google and Starbucks combined. (source: International Labour Office)
• 750 million people are living at poverty level with an income of $1.90/day or less. (source: World Bank)
• In India alone, there are 300 million people living in poverty.
The Causegear mission: To transform the lives of one million people trapped in unfathomable poverty and injustice to become self-sustaining. Most items include the name and face of one of the crafters who made your gear. Causegear is a social enterprise with 90% of its profits benefiting crafters.
Every CAUSEGEAR® and MADE BY FREE WOMEN® purchase supports a day of freedom from slavery and poverty through a self-sustaining job. Providing a dignified, and empowered pathway out of extreme poverty while reducing the risk of being trafficked or enslaved. Every item is made in a factory that meets or exceeds the World Fair Trade Organizations (WFTO) standards.
Causegear / Made Free